Friday, May 7, 2010

Funeral Card: In Memoriam, 1904


This great old funeral notice announces the death and funeral of Mrs. Frank P. Marshall, who died March 11, 1904 at the age of 27. Her funeral was held March 13, 1904 at the Christian Church in Enid, Oklahoma. The notice predates Oklahoma statehood by several years.

The small folder measures about 3 by 2 ½ inches and is printed on nice thick stock. I bought it at an antique store in Vernon, Texas in 1978. It was the first purchase for what has become a large funeral-related memorabilia collection.

© 2010, copyright Stephen Mills

3 comments:

  1. Just Beautiful!! I love your black background, so appropriate. I will definitely be reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautifully ornate drawing on this card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Karen, now you see why I started collecting funeral memorabilia! This was the first piece in my collection and I thought the drawing was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete